Wednesday, February 25, 2009

In search of 'solito lindo', or why sometimes you should probably just eat something

I've had a curious twenty-four hours.

In my search for trancendance, I've dabbled a little bit in kundalini yoga (by dabbled I mean I read Eat, Pray, Love bought another book on it and have a schedule taped to my fridge for the local yoga studio that offers kundalini chanting, so I am by no means any sort of real source). One of the most interesting things I've gotten in my minor exploration is the knowledge that we all have multiple bodies. Of course our physical body exists in reality, but so does our emotional body (pranic), our spirit body (radiant), and a bunch of other bodies that are too complicated for me to explain. You can believe it or not, but buying into this idea has helped me get a lot of things straight lately.

Within the last day, I had a subtle experience which helped me turn this truth into a personal reality. In the past month, I've been really happy! Yes, I'm still growing and healing, but I've found a calm in my mind, a general freedom from unnecessary worries and desires, and strength again in my big bodhisattva heart (yey!).
Yesterday, however, I woke up feeling physically tired and rather dehydrated. Then, I spent the afternoon working on a presentation on a play, Machinal by Sophie Treadwell. I've done this play before, but had forgotten the intensity it contains. Machinal follows the life of a young woman who gets trapped in a shallow marriage with a man she finds disgusting, and is crippled by the pressure of modern life. She has a short affair with the first young man she has found appealing, and gets a taste of love, and unable to return to her harsh reality after finally experiencing happiness and intimacy with another person, she murders her husband and is then electrocuted by the state. I've seen the play at least a dozen times, but the scene with her young man always gets me. He sings her 'solito lindo' or little heaven, a nickname lovers give each other in Spain, which is corny, but very touching corn.
It was after I read this, that I could feel myself on the edge of tanking. Then, I made the mistake of forgetting to eat before my midterms, and reached 4:00 feeling so weak emotionally and physically that it was all I could do to get myself home. During this vulnerability, my brain started to get the best of me, deciding that then was the perfect time to start opening up old wounds and fill me with repetitive thoughts of doubt and insecurity.

I realized the extent to which these bodies we all have are connected. When one is hurt, the others can follow so easily, which makes self care that much more important.
So, I ate some gumbo, took my dog Benjamin for a walk, a mini nap, and popped in my emergency movie (You've got mail) and now feel like the delightful buddha woman I really am (and that you are too! or buddha-man if you wish).

Don't forget the importance of taking gentle care of all of your bodies, only you can ensure your own happiness, and you deserve it in truck loads!

love,
janey

No comments: