Tuesday, February 10, 2009

the cheerful one with cherry blossoms in her hair

I had a few wonderful Buddhist experiences this week that I wanted to share.

I've spoken a little about my practice, but sometimes a little vaguely. I genuinely respect other traditions. People are so diverse, and it follows then that expressions of faith are as well. I also love my practice! So, so, so, very much!
I practice Nichiren Buddhism with The Soka Gakkai International. The tradition is centered around chanting 'nam myoho renge kyo', which translates to 'I devote myself to the mystic law of cause and effect through sound', however my favorite explanation is that in chanting, I am calling out the name of my buddha-nature. My own innate perfection or divinity. The same nature that we all have. I have had very strong faith recently, and I cannot express how wonderful it is just to be able to trust not only yourself, but the universe to bring the right scenario as it is meant to appear.

On Saturday, I went down to Denver to receive a guidance from Jee, a wonderful leader who was in town. The SGI has leaders, but not in a manner where anyone is better than anyone else. Rather, people become leaders when they are strong in their practice and can support others, however we all learn from each other equally. I didn't any real problems to talk about, but wanted to take advantage of the opportunity. Jee and I had a wonderful conversation that really got me excited about this Buddhism. Having a practice makes me feel secure in my life. No matter what happens, no matter how bad things get (or how good), I will always have my gohonzon to turn to for comfort and to celebrate my life! I have been through a phase where I was in battle with my own fundamental darkness, and have come through it with my smile intact. Jee had a great metaphor for this challenge. She said that in Japan, if a winter is very mild, the cherry trees will bloom very little, if at all in the spring. Something about the tree needs the frost to shock the buds into becoming the flowers they are meant to be. Harsh winters produce more beautiful flower's than mild ones. I know the japan/beauty/cherry blossom metaphor is perhaps a little over used to the point of being a cliche, but I liked this particular explanation none the less. If its true, I should be sprouting blossoms any day now!

Last night, my local SGI district (the boulder bodhisattvas!) had a particularly good new members meeting as well. I'm not someone who believes in blind faith in the least bit. Belief, especially when it's religious and moral should be able to withstand strong questioning and provide proof and logical answers. I, however, had done most of my questioning before I found this tradition, and the buddha-dharma rang true for my life. Recently, I've been very struck at the simplicity of it all. Right now, ALL I have to do is trust the practice, and chant daimoku. That's it. The rest will take care of its self, and any other action will just be a natural and easy expression of my inner state, not something that is forced. I have so many question marks in my life right now. Love? Travel? Work? Money to travel? but with the simplicity that this Buddhism brings to my life, I am pretty joyful and calm about all of them. The right relationship will pop up when it is meant to, the right country will open it's doors, the right job will show up paying what I need to adventure and create some security and freedom. I just have to be patient, and if there is one thing I am, its patient.

May you be happy, free, and cheerful.
love,
janey


(a recent Boulder Bodhisattva district meeting at a member's house)

No comments: