Monday, April 13, 2009

Janey and the Magical Ukulele


I've had a rather prolific week creatively, which has got me thinking a lot about what the benefits of chanting really are.

Often, when first introduced to the practice of Nichiren Buddhism, we often explain to guests the rather spooky benefits that come from chanting. That your desires, even physical or materialistic ones, can be fulfilled.

When I first heard this as someone who had practiced before as a Buddhist in the Shambhala tradition, I thought it was pretty silly. Buddhism doesn't condone desires, right? Isn't that what all those teachings about detachment are about? Isn't it pretty darn superficial and selfish for me to spend time doing something for my own wishes when I could be spending my time saving the world?

When I started chanting, it was honestly more about solidifying a legitimate identity as a Buddhist and finding a community than getting anything else out of it. After almost a year and a half of chanting, I've had my fair share of spooky benefits, however this week I feel like I really understand what the heart of these benefits are.

This fall, during a time when I was overwhelmed by my own fundamental darkness, I caved and got in my car one afternoon to finally go to my doctor and get a prescription for anti-depressants. This was a pretty huge concession for me, and it took me a lot of self talk to admit that I needed some help. On my way to the doctors office, I passed Robb's Music, and long story short, I ended up with a ukulele instead.

This month, I found myself going through another round of clearing for this old love of mine and softly, found myself more opened up to what I can only describe as a creative flow of the universe than I ever believed possible. It may not seem like a big deal, but over the course of three days, I wrote 4 songs (which I like and think are pretty good?!!), which is something I never dreamed I could do. It wasn't hard. I didn't struggle or strain myself, I just sat down with my ukulele and thought "oh, maybe I'll write something about this...". And I did!

Though I love myself, I also know that I am not unique or exceptional. Perhaps the only thing that is different about my life, is that I am lucky enough to have found the practice of this Buddhism. In chanting 'Nam Myoho Renge Kyo', I am merely matching the vibration of my life to that of the universe, and creating harmony (I know that sounds cliche but it's the best word for it). For me, these songs feel like proof that my practice is working.

They say that a bodhisattva who can express themselves through art has the life force of a thousand bodhisattvas. I hope that means that my new found expression will only enable me to serve a thousand more people in this life.

may you be happy, may you peaceful, and may you be loved,
janey

No comments: