Thursday, January 1, 2009

Taking the Plunge


This Year, I celebrated the new year, new hope, new joy, new love with the Boulder Polar Bear Club and dove into the Boulder res for the 2009 polar plunge. This is the third year I've jumped but it was different in a few essential ways. First of all, its the first time I've found friends crazy enough to do this with me!! (Yey Haley and Josh!) I was also pleased to find that I have shaken off so much fear in 2008. For the first time, as we got closer and closer to the front of the line to jump, I was no longer overcome with a sense of dread in the pit of my stomach. Instead, I was simply full of joy and excitement. This, I think is the real gift of taking big risks in life.

"Leap, and the net will appear"; as the Zen monks say. Not only will you find yourself safe, but able to find such great joy in the unexpected. This little tradition for me is more than just something silly, but rather a practice in letting go of the seeming security fear brings and embracing the wild beauty in living your life with love.
Happy New Year! May it be everything you ever dreamed of!
Love,
Janey

No comments: