Friday, October 24, 2008

Service as Path (or why Nurses are Buddhas in disguise)

Recently, I seem to be faced quite frequently with how essential service is as a foundation of happiness and maintaining a bodhisattva life condition.

From a global perspective, this realization is terribly exciting and powerful. It has been said by religious academics that the buddha-dharma centered in America and the West right now could be the beginning of what would be considered the fourth turning of the wheel of the Dharma. First Theravada, then Mahayana, Vajrayana, and now perhaps American Socially Engaged Buddhism? It is exciting to think that my individual practice, and my Soka sangha could play such an essential part in this revolution. What is key to this new incarnation of the Dharma, is the emphasis on service. It is not a new concept in Buddhism, but I believe that service as The central practice could be.

What delights me is although this could be a lofty notion, designed as only an outlet and justification for miserable bleeding hearts like I myself have been, service for others, when combined with the knowledge that other service is also self service, can bring about a great and unshakable joy.

One of my favorite mantras when cleaning kennels at the Humane Society has become "cleaning up crap, cleaning up my karma". I repeat this to myself almost constantly though out our three hour scrub sessions, and because of it, I feel blessed and joyful in my work. In many ways, this has become one of my favorite parts of my job. It may seem odd, however it is rare that we are given opportunities for simple, humbling work. It also is one of the only things which really does the trick to take my mind off my own exhausting battle against fundamental darkness. Time left to think about myself and my life has become the real work, and service is the mental break I need to recharge my heart.

On a personal note, today has been a big day for my family. My uncle is died of cancer last night. And though I am peaceful with it because of my faith and distance (not created from this situation, but the mere fact that no one is close to everyone), this is an ending which will be very difficult and painful for many. I have never experienced a human death before, and it is odd how different it is from how we treat our non-human companions. I spent much of the day at the hospital, and later at hospice. There were times last night, where there were as many as ten people in his room, just listening to his mechanical gasping, wondering with each breath if it was the last one. Through this process, I was struck at what I can only describe as the greatness of the nurses who provide such care. I have not yet learned how to turn something as simple as my presence, into an act of service for another human being, especially in such an extended and gloomy situation. With animals, in many ways, we can do so much more to relieve their pain. Nurses must know something profound about the art of surrender, because besides the morphine, there isn't much you can do but be present with love. It is not easy to watch someone suffer from a position of helplessness, the strength they possess is admirable.


may you be peaceful,
may you be happy,
may you be free from suffering.

love,
janey

No comments: